Welcome to the Grand Traverse Humanists. If you value science, reason, and compassion and believe that humans are responsible for their own destiny, you have come to the right place. We are a community for the non-religious in the Grand Traverse area, offering a forum for discussing and advancing a secular worldview based on our common humanity. Our programs include monthly speakers and discussions, film and book groups, and various volunteer and social events. All are free and open to the public. Check out Upcoming Events below, or click on the calendar. Nontheists, agnostics, atheists, freethinkers, rationalists, humanists, and more...we welcome you to join us!
Grand Traverse Humanists Main Meeting
Second Monday of each month, 7 p.m.
Traverse Area District Library main branch, 610 Woodmere Ave., TC
Meeting at the Library: 1971 documentary with Bonnie Raines IN PERSON
7 p.m....main branch of TADL, 610 Woodmere Ave., TC
Film screening with be followed by Q & A with Bonnie Raines, one of the eight citizens who broke into the FBI office!
On March 8, 1971 eight ordinary citizens broke into an FBI office in Media, Pennsylvania, a town just outside Philadelphia, took hundreds of secret files, and shared them with the public. In doing so, they uncovered the FBI’s vast and illegal regime of spying and intimidation of Americans exercising their First Amendment rights.
On the night of the “Fight of the Century” boxing match between Muhammad Ali and Joe Frazier, the activists, calling themselves the Citizens’ Commission to Investigate the FBI, picked the lock on the door to the small FBI field office. They took every file in the office, loaded them into suitcases, and walked out the front door.
Mailed anonymously, the documents started to show up in newsrooms. The heist yielded a trove of damning evidence that proved the FBI was deliberately working to intimidate civil rights activists and Americans nonviolently protesting the Vietnam War. The most significant revelation was an illegal program overseen by lifelong FBI director J. Edgar Hoover known as COINTELPRO – the Counter Intelligence Program.
Despite searching for the people behind the heist in one of the largest investigations ever conducted, the FBI never solved the mystery of the break-in, and the identities of the members of the Citizens’ Commission to Investigate the FBI remained a secret.
For the first time, the members of the Citizens’ Commission have decided to come forward and speak out about their actions. 1971 is their story.
Humanists Bike Ride
11 a.m. ... Meet at the parking lot at mile 0 on the Sleeping Bear Trail…9922 West Front St., Empire
Join us for a bike ride on the paved Heritage Trail, going 9.5 miles from Empire to Glen Arbor. We'll lunch in Glen Arbor, then bike back. There are some hills! Contact person is Heather...text 503-422-6515.
Volunteer at the State Theatre
7:30 - 10:30 p.m...State Theatre, 233 E Front Street, Traverse City
The third Monday of each month is Grand Traverse Humanists volunteer night at the State Theatre! Come take tickets, sell reasonably-priced popcorn and drinks, help with clean-up after, and earn a voucher for a future free movie. Help us support this worthwhile part of our community and have fun at the same time! Sign up at the meeting the week before, or email Sue at firstname.lastname@example.org.
7 p.m....West End Tavern, 12719 S West Bay Shore Dr., TC (the old Scott's Harbor Grill)
Join us for dinner out! RSVP to Marlene at email@example.com.
- Meet the Intern: Samreena FarooquiPlease welcome the Social Justice Digital Media Intern, Samreena Farooqui! TheHumanist.com: What is your educational and work background? Samreena Farooqui: I’m currently a psychology major at Florida State University (FSU). I would be remiss if I didn’t mention that for the entirety of the time I’ve been in the US, I went... Read more »Source: TheHumanist.com | Published: August 23, 2016 - 1:39 pm
- The Ethical Dilemma: Stabbing a Spouse in the BackExperiencing an ethical dilemma? Need advice from a humanist perspective? Send your questions to The Ethical Dilemma at firstname.lastname@example.org (subject line: Ethical Dilemma). All inquiries are kept confidential. Stabbing Spouse in the Back? My spouse and I don’t always agree on everything, including how to raise our two young children. My spouse is... Read more »Source: TheHumanist.com | Published: August 19, 2016 - 1:44 pm
- Rules Are for Schmucks: Good News CompendiumThe struggle against the interlocking of church and state, challenging billions of dollars of God industry revenues, normally generates a great deal more bad news than good. The past few months, though, have seen a few little points of light. If you’re reading this while doing something pleasant, like sitting... Read more »Source: TheHumanist.com | Published: August 18, 2016 - 3:17 pm
- The Humanist Hour #208: Juhem Navarro-Rivera on Changing Demographics and Changing PoliticsClick to download an audio file of this podcast. There is a significant portion of the U.S. electorate this year who seem determined to “take back their country”. It’s rare, however, that these people are willing to explicitly state who they want to take the country back from. In reality their... Read more »Source: TheHumanist.com | Published: August 17, 2016 - 1:58 pm
- Salary History Doesn’t Equal My Worth!Let’s say you take a job right out of college while you’re deciding whether you can afford graduate school or not. The work is engaging, but the pay is low. Still, you figure it’s worthwhile to start working and get what experience you can out of it. But what happens... Read more »Source: TheHumanist.com | Published: August 12, 2016 - 2:12 pm
Michigan Secular Associations
- American Atheists
- American Ethical Union
- Americans United
- British Humanist Asscociation
- Council For Secular Humanism
- First Amendment Center
- Foundation Beyond Belief
- Freedom From Religion Foundation
- How Secular Humanists Develop Ethics
- International Humanist and Ethical Union
- James Randi Educational Foundation
- Michael Shermer
- Recovering From Religion
- Secular Coaliton for America
- Secular News Daily
- Secular Student Alliance
- Stiefel Freethought Foundation
- The Continuum of Humanist Education
- The Humanist Institute
- The Institute for Humanist Studies
- The Richard Dawkins Foundation
- Freethought Blogs
- Friendly Atheist
- Greta Christina's Blog
- Sam Harris
- The Panda's Thumb
- Tina Dupuy