Welcome to the Grand Traverse Humanists. If you value science, reason, and compassion and believe that humans are responsible for their own destiny, you have come to the right place. We are a community for the non-religious in the Grand Traverse area, offering a forum for discussing and advancing a secular worldview based on our common humanity. Our programs include monthly speakers and discussions, film and book groups, and various volunteer and social events. All are free and open to the public. Check out Upcoming Events below, or click on the calendar. Nontheists, agnostics, atheists, freethinkers, rationalists, humanists, and more...we welcome you to join us!
Grand Traverse Humanists Main Meeting
Second Monday of each month, 7 p.m.
Traverse Area District Library main branch, 610 Woodmere Ave., TC
Candlelight vigil tonight, Tuesday, June 14, 7:30 p.m.
Unitarian Universalist Church, 6726 Center Rd (Old Mission Peninsula)
Summer Solstice Party Saturday, June 18
7670 E Shore Rd., Traverse City (1/4 mile N of McKinley on Old Mission Peninsula)
Join us for a celebration of the beginning of summer! Dishes to pass are welcome but not required. Phone 503-422-6515 with any questions.
Meeting at the Library: Highlights of the AHA Conference and Reason Rally
7 p.m....610 Woodmere Ave., Traverse City
The American Humanist Association (of which we are a chapter) recently held its 75th anniversary conference in Chicago! Seven members of the Grand Traverse Humanists attended this event...and three members attended the epic Reason Rally in Washington, D.C., held the following Saturday. Join us for a presentation of highlights from both of these events.
Summer Solstice Party!
7 p.m....7670 E Shore Rd, Traverse City
Let's celebrate the beginning of summer! Info above.
Volunteer at the State Theatre
7:30 - 10:30 p.m...State Theatre, 233 E Front Street, Traverse City
The third Monday of each month is Grand Traverse Humanists volunteer night at the State Theatre! Come take tickets, sell reasonably-priced popcorn and drinks, help with clean-up after, and earn a voucher for a future free movie. Help us support this worthwhile part of our community and have fun at the same time! Sign up at the meeting the week before, or email Sue at firstname.lastname@example.org.
7 p.m....Firefly, 310 Cass St., Traverse City
Join us for dinner out! Please RSVP to Heather at email@example.com or text 503-422-6515.
Bike Ride on the Heritage Trail
Future speakers...save the dates!
Monday, July 11: Cara Ocobock...How Not to Die in the Wild
Monday, August 8: Bonnie Raines and film 1971
- Reflections on PrideWhen I was asked to write about LGBT Pride Month for TheHumanist.com, I immediately and enthusiastically said yes. I love Pride Month. It baffled me, then, as I sat down to write, that I couldn’t come up with words that made sense to me. I wanted to talk about the... Read more »Source: TheHumanist.com | Published: June 29, 2016 - 2:27 pm
- Canada Chooses Compassion over ConventionInternational affairs suffered quite the shock this past week as the United Kingdom confounded expert opinion by leaving the European Union, spreading panic through the global financial system. But not all is gloom and doom on the international stage, as our Canadian friends to the north have made their own... Read more »Source: TheHumanist.com | Published: June 29, 2016 - 2:18 pm
- The Humanist Hour #201: David Niose & Monica Miller on the Appignani Humanist Legal CenterClick to download an audio file of this podcast. This year, the American Humanist Association’s Appignani Humanist Legal Center celebrates a decade of service. The center provides legal assistance to defend the constitutional rights of religious and secular minorities by directly challenging clear violations of the Establishment Clause and seeking equal... Read more »Source: TheHumanist.com | Published: June 29, 2016 - 1:56 pm
- Is Gene Editing Causing a Revival of Eugenics?Last week the National Institutes of Health cleared the gene-editing technology known as CRISPR (Clustered Regularly Interspaced Short Palindromic Repeats) for its first clinical test of human patients. While the initial test involves editing to fight cancer cells, many are calling for this same technology to be used to edit... Read more »Source: TheHumanist.com | Published: June 28, 2016 - 7:21 pm
- Gutting of the Voting Rights Act Derails American DemocracyLast Wednesday I attended a joint congressional briefing hosted by the ACLU and the Leadership Conference on Civil and Human Rights titled “The State of Voting Rights in 2016.” This meeting was conducted just before the third anniversary of the Supreme Court’s Shelby County decision striking down the Voting Rights... Read more »Source: TheHumanist.com | Published: June 28, 2016 - 3:17 pm
Michigan Secular Associations
- American Atheists
- American Ethical Union
- Americans United
- British Humanist Asscociation
- Council For Secular Humanism
- First Amendment Center
- Foundation Beyond Belief
- Freedom From Religion Foundation
- How Secular Humanists Develop Ethics
- International Humanist and Ethical Union
- James Randi Educational Foundation
- Michael Shermer
- Recovering From Religion
- Secular Coaliton for America
- Secular News Daily
- Secular Student Alliance
- Stiefel Freethought Foundation
- The Continuum of Humanist Education
- The Humanist Institute
- The Institute for Humanist Studies
- The Richard Dawkins Foundation
- Freethought Blogs
- Friendly Atheist
- Greta Christina's Blog
- Sam Harris
- The Panda's Thumb
- Tina Dupuy